Employment Immigration in the United States

People from around the world come to the United States every day for a variety of reasons. A common reason for foreigners to come to the country is for the opportunity of employment. In order to enter the country legally, foreign individuals must have documentation that allows them to. One document that permits individuals to enter the United States is a visa. A visa specifies a foreigner’s reason for coming to the country. There are numerous visas that allow an individual the chance to come to the United States for employment.

Temporary Work Visas

Temporary work visas allow a foreigner to take a job in the United States for a period of time. There are many types of temporary work visas. Each type of visa depends on the individual’s job. Examples may include:

  • E-1 visa for an employee of a treaty trader
  • E-2 visa for investors of enterprises
  • H-1B visa for specialty workers and fashion models
  • H-1C visa for registered nurses
  • H-2A visa for agricultural workers
  • H-2B visa for non-agricultural workers
  • H-3 visa for trainees and special education visitors
  • I-1 visa for foreign media
  • O visa for individuals with extraordinary achievements in a certain field
  • P-1 visa for athletes and entertainers
  • P-2 visa for artists in exchange programs
  • P-3 visa for artists with the purpose of teaching or performing
  • Q-1 visa for those participating in cultural exchange programs

H-1B Visas

An H-1B visa is a common visa in the United States for employment. It permits employers within the country to hire foreign workers in “specialty occupations” for a period of time. These are professions that require knowledge in specific fields. It may include jobs in sciences, law, engineering, mathematics, and more. The visa is given to an individual for a three-year time limit but can be extended for another three years.

L-1 Visas

An L-1 visa can be obtained by foreigners who wish to have temporary employment. The visa fills supervisor or managing positions. It is also used for individuals who have knowledge in special fields. There are two types of L-1 visas:

  • L-1A: For supervising and managing positions. This visa holder may be given 7 years to work within the country.
  • L-1B: For those with important knowledge in specific professions. This visa holder may be given up to 5 years to work in the country.

Contact Our Firm

If you or someone you know is looking to apply for a visa to enter the United States, contact the Law Office of Christopher T. Howell, Esq. today.