Essex County Family Immigration Attorneys

Family Immigration Attorneys in Bloomfield, NJ

One of the largest practice areas within immigration law is family immigration. Often, families are separated for months or even years at a time as they make efforts to come to the United States. At the Law Offices of Christopher T. Howell, Esq., we are proud to help families start their new lives in the United States. Our firm is committed to guiding you through each step of the process, no matter how simple or complex your particular situation may be. With so many different facets of family immigration, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney who can assess your situation and help you navigate towards your goals. Contact our firm to discuss your case.

Fiancé Visas: K-1

Couples often find themselves in international relationships. Of course, this can be complicated as they want to be together. When a couple gets engaged to be married, the U.S. citizen can petition their fiancé with a K-1 visa. This visa allows the non-resident to move to the United States as long as they marry their significant other within 90 days of arriving in the country. Unfortunately, there are many instances of marriage fraud so immigration officials will require the couple to prove that they are in a legitimate relationship. Some forms of evidence that may be important in proving your relationship include photographs, evidence of financial support, correspondences, and anything else that demonstrates a legitimate relationship between the two parties. If the couple fails to get married within 90 days of the non-resident’s arrival, the fiancé may be required to leave the country.

Conditional Residence

Once a couple gets married and the immigrant spouse becomes a permanent resident, they will have conditions placed on their residency. These conditions will be placed on their residency for two years after the marriage. It is important that 90 days before the two-year anniversary of the marriage, an I-751 petition is filed and signed by both spouses to remove conditions. If the couple fails to remove conditions, they may deport the permanent resident spouse. After the conditions are removed with a successful I-751 petition, the permanent resident spouse has the right to submit an application for naturalization.

Petitioning Family Members for a Green Card

Some individuals are permitted to petition for their relatives to immigrate to the United States. The right to petition a family member is extended to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and refugees or asylees who have been admitted to the United States within the past two years. To petition a family member, you must file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. In the event that the relative you wish to petition for is already in the United States, they can submit Form I-485 to adjust their status and become a green card holder. If the relative is not in the US., your relative will have to wait for a visa to become available for consular processing.

Contact an Essex County Immigration Attorney

Immigration is a complicated matter and there are many aspects that need to be considered. If you need assistance bringing your family members to the United States, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney who can help you navigate this confusing process. The Law Offices of Christopher T. Howell, Esq. understands how much is on the line when your family is separated. Let our firm help you understand the family immigration process. Contact us today.

Read Our Blog Posts