After an injury, there are numerous steps you should take. For example, it is important to document the scene with pictures and videos. Another important step is to seek medical attention immediately after an accident occurs. Read on to learn more about the importance of going to the doctor after an injury.
Why is it important to seek medical attention after an injury?
It may seem obvious that you should go to the doctor if an injury occurs, but many people avoid doing so. Some wish to avoid the high costs associated with medical care, while others feel they aren’t injured enough to seek medical attention. In any event, it is important to go to the doctor for the following reasons:
- Ensure your injuries receive proper treatment
- It is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. In fact, some injuries do not begin to show symptoms until days or weeks after the injury occurs. It is important to seek medical attention to ensure your injuries receive proper treatment and heal quickly and correctly.
- Obtain proof of the origin and extent of your injuries
- Medical documents can play a major role in a personal injury case. Going to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility immediately after the accident occurs can allow you to obtain proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Be sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
What could go wrong?
Numerous things can go wrong if you skip a trip to the doctor.
- Sustain a serious injury
- Again, failing to treat an injury can cause that injury to worsen or heal incorrectly. You may exacerbate an injury if you do not treat it in time.
- Hurt your chances of recovering compensation
- Failing to seek medical treatment will likely have a major impact on your personal injury case. It will be difficult to prove that you were injured due to another party’s negligence. For example, the other party will claim that you were not injured enough to go to the doctor, so you must not be seriously injured.
If you have been injured by another party’s negligence, it is important to seek medical treatment. It is also imperative that you work with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney. Our firm will advocate for you every step of the way.
Contact our Experienced New Jersey Firm
If you have been injured due to the negligence of another party and wish to speak with an attorney, contact the Law Office of Christopher T. Howell, Esq. today.