How do I renew or extend my U.S. work visa?

work visa immigration employment

Individuals may come to the United States looking for better employment opportunities. Nonimmigrants seeking employment in the U.S. must acquire a work visa. A work visa allows an individual to remain in the U.S. to work for a fixed period. Once that period is over, individuals must leave the U.S. by the expiration date or they could face serious repercussions. However, it is possible to have a work visa renewed or extended. If you are seeking to renew or extend your U.S. work visa, contact an experienced Essex County Employment Immigration Attorney who can help you file a request before your authorized period of stay expires. 

Is it possible to renew or extend a U.S. work visa?

Individuals can have their U.S. work visa renewed or extended. However, individuals must file a request before their authorized period of stay expires. Essentially, an authorized period of stay grants nonimmigrants a period where they can remain in the U.S. If they fail to file a request before their authorized period of stay expires they could face serious consequences such as being deported and barred from ever returning to the U.S. However, to extend a work visa, an individual must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • They must have been lawfully admitted to the U.S. via a nonimmigrant visa.
  • Their non-immigrant visa status must remain valid.
  • They must not have committed any crimes.
  • They must not have violated the admission conditions.
  • They must have a valid passport that will remain valid for a fixed period of stay.

If an individual can meet this criterion they may be eligible for an extension. However, individuals may need to apply for a new work visa in their country. It is typically recommended that individuals file an extension request 45 days before their authorized stay expires to ensure they have enough time. It is imperative to know the expiration date of a work visa as well as when a period of authorized stay expires.

How do I extend my work visa?

Furthermore, to extend a U.S. work visa, nonimmigrants must complete certain forms and provide all required documentation. Firstly, nonimmigrants must file the Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status Form I-539. Additionally, nonimmigrants must submit the proper filing fees with their Form I-539. Moreover, nonimmigrants must submit evidence and supporting documentation to validate their visa status. It is pertinent to note that family members can be included on the same Form I-539.

Ultimately, it is possible to renew or extend a U.S. work visa, however, certain requirements must be met to do so. If you are interested in renewing or extending your U.S. work visa, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our trusted and dedicated attorneys. Our firm is committed to helping our clients ensure they file a request before their period of authorized stay expires. In addition, we will ensure all required forms and documentation are submitted properly. Allow our firm to help you today.