Many people ride bicycles, whether it may be for leisure, exercise, or as a method of transportation. In doing so, while they are fun, it is important to keep in mind that they can also be dangerous. This is because they offer riders essentially no protection from the other hazards there may be on the road, such as negligent automobile drivers. That is why all bike riders should use caution when riding and stay aware of their surroundings at all times.
Because May is National Bicycle Safety Month, it is important to keep this in mind as people begin to ride their bikes more often. Our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney has created a short list of ways that bikers can do so moving forward. Continue reading below to learn more.
- Be sure the bike is ready to be ridden before taking it out. Bikes need to be in the proper condition so that it is safe on the road. This includes checking the brakes to see that they are working, filling the tires to the right air pressure, and more.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. Bikes should always be ridden in the same direction as other vehicles on the road and riders should use hand signals to keep an accident from happening.
- Always wear a helmet. Helmets can save lives when riding bikes. While any helmet works, it is better to buy one that meets the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards.
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. When riding a bike, you are required to follow the same rules of the road as other drivers. This includes obeying traffic signs lights, not riding under the influence, and much more.
- Make yourself visible. This can include wearing bright colors so that you can be seen by other motorists. If you are riding at night, it is important to use reflective gear so that you can be seen in the dark as well.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. While accidents can happen at the expense of another party, it is important that you are doing everything you can to prevent this. This includes being aware of all potential hazards and your surroundings at all times.
These tips are all good ways to do your best to stay safe while you are out on the streets riding a bike. However, the unfortunate truth is that accidents can happen anyway. If you are involved in a bike accident due to the negligence of another party, you may be able to recover financial compensation for the damages you incur. During this time, be sure to contact an experienced New Jersey personal injury attorney for help.
Contact our Firm
If you have been injured as a result of a personal injury accident and wish to speak with an attorney, contact the Law Office of Christopher T. Howell, Esq. today.