What should I do if I lose my green card?

green card

The process of obtaining lawful permanent residency can prove to be quite challenging. Despite this, getting a coveted green card can feel significant once the approval process is complete. It can, therefore, be disheartening for one to learn that they have lost their green card. Please continue reading to learn the steps you should take if you lose your green card and how our experienced Essex County Green Card Attorneys can help you through each phase.

How do I replace my green card?

To replace a lost, stolen, or damaged green card, you must file Form I-90, “Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.” The supporting documents you need to provide USICS will depend on the reasoning for replacing your green card. However, it typically includes a photocopy of the original green card (if available), a copy of another government-issued ID such as a driver’s license, or other evidence of your status. Keep in mind you will also have to pay a filing fee.

If you’re filing your application from within the U.S., you can file Form I-90 online or by mail. However, if you’re outside the U.S., getting a replacement will be a little more complicated. If your green card was stolen while traveling abroad, you should report it to the police and contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. From here, you’ll have to file Form I-131A, “Application for Carrier Documentation. This is how you obtain temporary travel documentation to return to the U.S.

Unfortunately, replacing your green card can be a slow process. When you need temporary proof of your status as a green card holder, you can obtain an “Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications (ADIT)” stamp. This is a stamp that is added to your passport. It can be used as a temporary green card for up to one year.

How much does it cost to replace it?

When you file Form I-90 to replace your lost green card, you must pay a USCIS filing fee. Generally, the standard filing fee is $455, in addition to $85 for biometric services, which results in a total of $540. Some applicants don’t have to pay or only have to pay the biometric service fee. You may be exempt from paying the filing fee if your green card was issued, but you have yet to receive it, it contains an error, or you qualify for a fee waiver due to extreme financial hardship. You will only have to pay the biometrics fee if you turn 14 in the past 30 days, and your green card will expire after you turn 16.

For more information on replacing your green card, please don’t hesitate to contact a determined attorney from the Law Offices of Christopher T. Howell. Our legal team is prepared to guide you through each step of this process.